Custom website design services
Looking to build a new website or breathe new life into your current site? Finding the whole process a little overwhelming? I can help. My custom website design services prioritise simplicity, accessibility, and approachability. My tried and tested process delivers compelling results.
What makes for a compelling website?
I approach all my design work with 3 principles in mind:
- Design should be uplifting and enriching. A design should create a human, intuitive experience. It should delight the user.
- Design should be straightforward and ‘just work’. A design should minimise overwhelm and cognitive load by being simple and consistent. It should get people to the information they need faster.
- Design should be considerate. Design should maximise the user’s security and privacy. It should maximise user accessibility. It should also be mindful of the environment. For example, large file sizes & slow loading increase the website’s environmental footprint.
This may seem idealistic, but when you strip back a design to its basics it benefits everyone. Simpler designs reduce costs and development time. Fast-loading sites reduce customer bounce rate. A clear navigation structure gets customers to the information they need. Isn’t that’s a big win for everyone?
What’s the design process for a new client?
Every one of my new clients follows this process:
- You’ll fill in my design brief that will then guide the project.
- I’ll create a work plan based on these details and request a 50% deposit based on the estimated work. Once you’ve paid the deposit, I’ll create a shared workspace with the completed work plan. The workspace will be the central hub where we can communicate and share documents.
- I usually work on a 3-week lead time to begin a new project. During this time, I will ask you to collect and share any content and documents relevant to the project. That means we can get cracking as soon as the project window opens.
- Most website projects take around 12 weeks to complete. Based on this estimated timeframe, I’ll dedicate the first two weeks to discovery. This is when we’ll research and define the project requirements, goals and features then create a plan before the project even begins.
- I dedicate the next 6 weeks to design. This is how we turn our plan into mock-ups. I’ll create an initial mock-up, with 7 days turnaround time on average. I’ll then ask you to review and comment before I dive into creating the rest of the mock-ups.
- Once the mock-ups are complete, I’ll ask you for final review and comment. This will be the last point at which you can request design amendments. Any further amendments will incur extra fees.
- The final 4 weeks will focus on development. The development process is when I turn mock-ups into a functioning website.
- Once development is complete, I’ll upload it to a ‘staging’ site, and ask you to make any final checks. When you’ve signed off on the finished site, I’ll send over the invoice for the remaining 50% balance.
- Once you’ve paid the balance, we can launch the website!
Having a shared workspace means you never have to wonder what’s going on with the project. It’ll be right there for us both to see – no more searching through your emails for documents or project details.
My project rates
My rates include:
- Project management through the discovery, branding, design and development process. This includes setting up and maintaining a workspace through the project’s duration. This gives us a central location to communicate and share ideas and documents.
- Time spent on the discovery process. This is when I find out more about you, your market and your competitors. This then guides the branding and/or design process.
- If applicable, any work on your business brand. This will likely include your visual brand, but if you need we can also work on your overall brand strategy.
- Two rounds of mock-up amendments. Once after the initial mock-up, and once after all page mock-ups are complete. Any extra work will be subject to a project-based fee. This fee helps ensure we’re both on the same page from the start of the project.
- All development work. I hand-code all my websites from scratch. This means no templates, and minimising plug-in use where possible. This means I can optimise for performance, security, accessibility, and usability.
- Initial SEO keyword integration. I am not an SEO expert, but I can give some guidance on how to structure your content for improved SEO results. If SEO is a priority for you, I recommend finding an expert in the field. When you find them, please point them in my direction too.
What should I expect from my project quote?
All my projects are custom quoted based on scope. My clients work with me because they believe in paying for a high-quality product. They want a site optimised to boost conversions and built with ethical design considerations.
When can we start my website project?
I request at least three weeks lead-time for web design projects. This gives my clients time to gather all the materials we’ll need so the project doesn’t overrun. I take on 1 or 2 new client projects each month, but those spaces fill up fast. The sooner we can start the conversation, the better.
If you need me RIGHT NOW, I’ll move you to the top of my to-do list but will include a 25% priority fee.
What happens once we’ve finished my project?
I can look after your website with one of my care plans.